Minnesota County Histories
Main Page Table Of Contents
John F. Lorenz
The History of Renville County, Volume 2
Compiled by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge
John F. Lorenz, Bird Island, was born in Austria, Nov. 14, 1864, son of Frank and Theresa (Kreutzer) Lorenz, who in 1868 brought him to America and located at Mankato, where the father followed his trade as blacksmith until his death in 1898, after which the mother took up her home with her children. John F. Lorenz was reared in Mankato, passed through the parochial schools, and at the age of nineteen became a tool sharpener in the granite works at St. Cloud. This work he followed for fifteen years. In that time he prepared the tools for many big contracts, including the Hennepin County Court House and the Minnesota State Capitol. For three years he conducted a shoe store in Mankato. For two years he farmed on a place three miles southeast of Redwood Falls. In 1901 he engaged in business in Bird Island, where he [now] resides. He has a pleasant home with all modern equipment. Mr. Lorenz is chief ranger of the C. O. F., secretary of the D. R. K. U. G., and a member of the Bird Island Commercial Club. The family faith is that of the Roman Catholic church, in which Mr. Lorenz is a member of the St. Joseph Society. John F. Lorenz was married Oct. 25, 1887, to Anna M. Mahowald, born March 3, 1867, daughter of John and Katherine (Weber) Mahowald, the former of whom, a general merchant, died in Mankato in 1909 at the ripe age of seventy-nine years, and the latter of whom still lives in Mankato. Mr. and Mrs. Lorenz have seven children: John E., born Sept. 6, 1888, is a teacher; Roman B. born Jan. 6, 1892, is a successful businessman of Hector; Ferdinand A., born May 27, 1894, is at home; Agatha, born Sept. 5, 1897, is also at home; Alphonse, born March 24, 1901, and Herman and Crescentia (twins), born June 7, 1903, are attending the parochial schools.
© Copyright 2007 KinSource All Rights Reserved