Minnesota Tales

The St. Paul Pioneer, July 7, 1869

A Bloody Row.

At The German Lutheran Picnic.

Six Or Eight Men Seriously Hurt.

One, it is Feared Fatally Injured.

About 7 o'clock Monday evening a very serious disturbance occurred at the German Lutheran picnic, on St. Anthony Hill. All day yesterday a variety of reports were in circulation as to the manner in which the disturbance was commenced. As the stories were so conflicting we will state as nearly as we can the report that seems to be the most probable, and leave the definite fixing of the blame to the examination which is to take place Saturday morning, and to which the parties supposed to have been engaged in the melee were bound over.

About 7 P. M. a party of men consisting of Joseph Sculley, Patrick Kennedy, Charles Welsh, and another, drove upon the grounds occupied by the German Lutheran societies, and got into a difficulty with some of the Germans. Two of this party work in Minneapolis, though their parents or relatives reside here. The Germans report that they were sitting at a table, as it is usual for them at their picnics, drinking beer and playing at a game of figures called "sevens," and that while thus engaged, the parties above named, approached them in a boisterous manner, and one of their number struck one of the Germans without provocation or notice. Upon a temperate remonstrance having been made, a general assault was made upon the Germans, during which Albert Enderlein received a very severe blow from some hard instrument, like "brass knuckles," on the head, above the forehead and left eye; Charles Schouler, a stab in the leg, a cut across the face and upon other parts of the body; Charles Kaufman, a cut across the head, a bruise in the eye; John Frober, stabbed in the side; ____ Publitz, stabbed in the side, dangerously, and Charles Oertel, pounded and beat about the head with a club. Some others were hurt but we could not learn their names.

Albert Enderlein was apparently the most seriously injured. The blow on the head that he received appeared to have been given by a pair of what are called "knuckles" - an instrument made of iron or brass, with four rings joined together, through which he places each of the fingers, with a ball or something attached to hold in the palm of the hand to give force and effect to the blow. It is a dreadful instrument, and with such a blow it is a wonder Enderlein was not killed instantly. The injured man was taken to the Arcade House, on Robert street, where he now lies in a critical condition. The blow was of such force as to smash the bone completely through. It is supposed that Charles Welsh is the one who used the knuckles, as they were found in his pocket when he was arrested about 10 o'clock the same night, back of Martin's lumber yard.

John Froeder was yesterday taken into the cell where he recognized Joseph Sculley as the man who stabbed him.

Sculley, Kennedy and Welsh were arraigned yesterday morning and ordered to give bail in the sum of $5,000 each for their appearance on Saturday morning, but up to this time they have not furnished the bail.

The Father Mathew Temperance picnic was being held a short distance from the German Lutheran picnic, and as soon as Father Ireland heard of the disturbance he went immediately to the scene and exerted his efforts to stop the fighting, in which efforts he was assisted by Mr. T. O'Connor.

Although the attempt was a very dangerous one, for the men were then fighting with knives, "brass knuckles," clubs, stones, and whatever else they could get hold of, and scarcely knew friend or foe, they [succeeded] in not only stopping the fight, but also in preventing reinforcements from coming either from the Father Mathew camp or the German grounds. If it had not been for the efforts of these gentle men, in all probability a much larger number of the Germans and Irish would have been engaged in the struggle, and the result far more terrible. In helping themselves to clubs, and materials with which to continue the fight, a considerable portion of a fence near the scene, was demolished.

Later in the evening, a couple of Irishmen named James Gildee and Patrick McTierney, while coming past the grounds occupied by the Germans, were attacked and beaten very severely. It is claimed that they were assaulted by the Turners, but whether this is a fact or merely inference, we cannot say.

Drs. Murphy and Wharton dressed Emderlein's wounds, and up to 12 o'clock last night he was alive, and as comfortable as could be expected with such a fearful injury.

Copyright 2012 KinSource All Rights Reserved