Minnesota County Histories
Main Page Table Of Contents
Concordia Congregation of Franklin
(By Rev. P. H. Rognlie.)
The History of Renville County, Volume 2
Compiled by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge
Our brethren in Franklin first belonged to the Dale congregation, but on account of the long distance to the church and the difficulty of making the trip, they asked for the privilege to be considered as an annex to the Dale congregation.
In the spring of 1898 they commenced the building of their own church. The first service in the new church was held May 22, 1898. The cornerstone was laid by Prof. Johannes Ylvisaker, July 22, 1898. The size of the church is 40x24, and 14 feet high, and supplied with a tower and chancel.
The first child that was baptized in the Concordia church was Clara Esther P. Wicken, born May 10, 1898, baptized June 6, 1898. The first marriage that was solemnized was that of Johan Bernard Tweet and Marie Josephine Nilsen, March 14, 1900.
On November 9, 1900, it was decided to organize a separate congregation, and that the name of that congregation should be Concordia Evangelical Lutheran congregation.
The congregation owns one-sixth of the Fort Ridgely and Dale parsonage and cemetery.
Among the founders of this congregation may be mentioned Johannes A. Bergley, Halvor Johnson, Iver Mahlum, Ole Pedersen Rönne, Hans Jensen, John Foss, George O. Steen, Oscar Johnson, Gustav Johnson, Gottfried and Hans Cormontan, Martin C. Skau, Martin Larson, Johan Bernhard Tweet, Gabriel A. Nilsen Bjurselmo, Carl Nilsen, Sven and Gilbert Gilbertsen, Even Anderson.
© Copyright 2005 KinSource All Rights Reserved