Minnesota County Histories
Main Page Table Of Contents
(By Rev. Thomas Hanson.)
The History of Renville County, Volume 2
Compiled by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge
The village of Fairfax was started about 1882, when the M. & St. L. R. R. was built. The little new village was largely populated by Germans. A few Norwegians moved in from time to time. Rev. Midtbö, a Norwegian Lutheran minister, resided in this village from 1899 till 1902. No active church work in the village was, however, taken up by him. In 1902 Rev. Thomas Hanson, then pastor of Hauges, Franklin, Zions and Camp churches, was asked to come over and preach the Gospel. First a church was loaned by the Methodists and at other times other accommodations were used. This being rather inconvenient a house of worship was longed for. A Ladies' Aid was organized within the village for the purpose of raising money for a house of worship. Later the men also joined in soliciting subscriptions towards a church. Of those who took very active part in this and greatly helped on the work might be mentioned Segvart Gumpolen, N. P. Nelson, Even Grasmoen and others. In 1905 a church was bought. The same year it was fully paid for and fully equipped with church bell, organ and the like.
In 1906 Rev. Thomas Hanson resigned, the work being a little too much, there then being five churches in his charge. Rev. R. Fjelstad was called. He accepted and began serving in 1907. In 1912 Rev. Fjelstad died. The church was then without a pastor. It was then decided to call both Rev. P. H. Rognlie and Rev. Thomas Hanson, each serving every other month. They have served this church since 1912 and are at present the pastors of the church.
The church has a very active Ladies' Aid and a Sunday school with an attendance of about 20 pupils. Segvart Gumplolen is the superintendent of the Sunday school and also the song leader of the church.
© Copyright 2006 KinSource All Rights Reserved