Minnesota County Histories
Main Page Table Of Contents

St. John's Church of Osceola
(By Rev. H. W. Krull.)
The History of Renville County, Volume 2
Compiled by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge
Chapter XL
p. 1270

The German Evangelical Lutheran St. John's church, of Osceola township, was organized June 7, 1892, at the home of Frank Voight, living in that township. It was organized by the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other states. The first pastor was Rev. Carl Dreyer, who served the congregation from his home in Geneva, Minn. The charter members were Henry J. Jungclaus, Henry Kahle, Karl Lehrke, August Ehrenberg, Frank Voight, John Homann, Gustav Wegner, Fred Alisch and Wilhelm Ehrenberg. During the first seven years the congregation held its meetings in the public school houses. In 1897 the congregation joined the Evangelical Luther Joint Synod of Ohio and other states and during the summer of 1899 the first church, a modest little frame building, was erected, being dedicated in September of that year. Michael Grimm had presented the congregation with a two-acre tract of land upon which they erected the church and laid out the cemetery. During the summer of 1911 a fine large frame church building, equipped with modern fixtures, was built on the northeast corner of the northeast quarter of section 33, Osceola township. The cornerstone was laid April 30, and the church was dedicated August 20, 1911. The old church is now used for school purposes, affording ample room also for meetings and gatherings. From 1897 to 1902, during which time Rev. L. Kettner, of Brookfield township, this county, served this congregation, it composed one parish with the congregation of Brookfield, January 4, 1902, the congregation united into one parish with the German Evangelical Lutheran congregation at Bird Island. From that date until the fall of 1905, Rev. Jacob Dachsteine, of Bird Island, served the congregation. Rev. Rudolph Bergfeldt, of Hector, served it for one year after that. All the Lutheran pastors of the neighborhood having left the congregation found itself again obliged to call Rev. L. Kettner, of Brookfield. With the aid of several theological students of St. Paul, Minn., he served it for nearly three years. January 28, 1909, H. W. Krull, a student of theology at Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn., was called. He served it as a student until after his graduation. On Palm Sunday, April 5, 1909, he delivered his first sermon, but was not installed as regular pastor until July 11, 1909, after his graduation. He has served it regularly ever since, making his home at Hector, there being no parsonage of this congregation. At present the congregation consists of forty families, among whom may be mentioned: H. J. Jungclaus, Henry Broderius, Albert E., Fred O. and Elzie A. Grimm, Alvin Enzenauer and Henry Sing. The first elders and deacons were Henry J. Jungclaus, John Homann, August Ehrenberg and August Wegner. The present elders are H. J. Jungclaus, Albert E. Grimm, Carl Schroeder and John Homann. The secretary is Frank Stamer.

© Copyright 2004 KinSource All Rights Reserved